March 28, 2013

Meth resurgence? More abandoned labs found

By Nita Johnson
Staff Writer

LAUREL COUNTY, Ky. — Although Laurel County dropped nearly 400 percent in the number of meth labs located throughout the county during 2012, several recent investigations have centered around possession and manufacturing of the addictive and toxic drug.

Five persons were arrested Sunday night after Laurel County Sheriff’s officials received a complaint of a possible meth lab in southern Laurel County. (See related story on Page 7A.)

Last week, the components of a meth lab were found inside an outbuilding on Wise Owl Road and police are seeking information on a subject involved in that incident.

A second abandoned meth lab was located around noon Sunday off Hawk Creek Road, seven miles west of London. The remnants of a meth lab were found at the scene and was dismantled by Detective Billy Madden, Deputy James Sizemore, and Detective Brad Mitchell. The investigation into that incident is continuing.

Saturday night brought an investigation in which a man who could possibly lose sight in both eyes, caused by what is believed to be an exploding meth lab.

Deputy Jeff Blunschi went to a business of Ky. 490, four miles north of London, around 8:30 p.m. after receiving a call that a man had severe chemical burns to his head and eyes. The man told store clerks he had been on Ky. 30 when an unknown male had thrown ‘liquid fire’ into his face.

Blunschi, however, found the man’s wounds to be consistent with a meth lab explosion, especially when none of his claims could be confirmed.

The man, whose name was not released, was taken to Saint Joseph London for treatment, in which the emergency room physicians said the man would probably lose total sight in one eye and possibly the other eye as well from the burns. The man also had burns on the top of his head, face and chin — all of which are consistent with a meth lab explosion. The man was uncooperative with deputies and disclosed little information into the details of the incident. He was identified only as a male in his mid-30s from south London.