December 5, 2013

Five flown out following two-vehicle crash

One of most severe cases ever worked by Deputy

By Nita Johnson
Staff Writer

LAUREL COUNTY, Ky. — The Thanksgiving holiday was one of horror for two families following a head-on crash last Wednesday night.

Members of the London-Laurel County Rescue Squad worked diligently to cut through the mangled metal of what once was a Pontiac Grand Prix and a Honda C-RV to remove five passengers from the vehicles. Four of those were flown from the scene by helicopter to the University of Kentucky Medical Center, while a fifth passenger was transported by ambulance to the London-Corbin Airport and flown from that site in a Fixed Wing by Air Evac.

All five were seriously injured in the crash that happened on East Ky. 80, nine miles east of London around 7:48 p.m.

The accident occurred when the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix, driven by 35-year-old Cora Wilson of Sand Springs Road in Mt. Vernon, reportedly crossed over the centerline of the roadway and struck a westbound 2006 Honda C-RV. The impact pinned all five persons inside their vehicles.

With severe injuries to all five persons, medical helicopters from Air Evac and PH-1 landed at the scene and flew four persons to the Lexington hospital.

In Wilson’s Grand Prix were two passengers — 16-year-old Sarah McQuire and a 13-year-old female, all of Sand Springs Road in Mt. Vernon. Those in the Honda were 59-year-old Stanley Woods and 58-year-old Darlene Woods, both of London.

Laurel Sheriff’s Deputy Larry Parrott investigated the accident, which he described as one of  the most severe he has ever investigated.  Parrott was assisted by Lt. Chuck Johnson, an Accident Reconstructionist, Senior Sgt. Greg Poynter, and Sgt. E. R. Rudder.

Also assisting were members of the Bush Volunteer Fire Department, Constable Tim May, Ambulance Inc. of Laurel County, London-Laurel Rescue Squad, Air Evac, and PH-1.

The investigation into the cause of the accident is continuing by the Laurel Sheriff’s Office.