LAUREL COUNTY, Ky. —
The leaking bathrooms on the second floor of the Laurel County Courthouse will, hopefully, soon be a thing of the past.
Magistrates approved the bid for repair of the courthouse bathroom during Thursday’s regular monthly meeting of the Laurel County Fiscal Court.
Laurel County Judge Executive David Westerfield said only one bid had been submitted for the bathroom repair priced at $28,800 by EcoTech. Westerfield said in an earlier meeting that he needed authorization from magistrates to advertise for the bids, since he estimated the costs could exceed $20,000. According to Kentucky state law, any services over $20,000 must be bid out, including an advertisement in the local newspaper.
The fiscal court also approved the Laurel County audit for fiscal year 2011-2012, which ended June 30, 2012. Westerfield said the audit had only “one finding” that concerned emergency purchases.
“They got us on this last year, and I told them that sometimes we have to get stuff on weekends when the other stores are closed,” he explained.
Magistrates also approved the resolution for a bond renewal for Truitt Brothers, which Westerfield said was a “formality” with the state and did not involve the fiscal court other than for an approval of the resolution.
In other actions, magistrates:
• Re-appointed Tom Handy to the London-Laurel County Tourism Commission board for a three-year term expiring in July 2016
• Re-appointed Edd Parsley to the London-Laurel County Tourism Commission for a three-year term expiring in August 2016
• Appointed Dr. Wajdi KFoury to the Laurel County Health Department board for a four-year term expiring on Sept. 30, 2017
• Approved adopting Lickliter Lane in magisterial district 1 and Baker Hideaway Road Extension in District 6 into the county road system
• Appointed a committee to look into the Eagles Nest Drive for possible consideration into the county’s road maintenance area
The next regular monthly meeting of the Laurel County Fiscal Court will be Tuesday, Sept. 24 at 9 a.m. This meeting will be held on Tuesday due to the opening of the World Chicken Festival on the fourth Thursday of September this year.