Sentinel-Echo.com

Local News

February 13, 2014

Restaurant tax could be used for more than just tourism

Kentucky League of Cities lobbies to move 75 percent of tax to general fund

LAUREL COUNTY, Ky. — Nearly three months since it was formed, the London Tourism and Convention Commission is expected to discuss their budget and how they plan to fund themselves during their scheduled meeting on February 17 at City Hall.

London is classified as a fourth class city; it has a population of less than 7,999 and can levy up to a three percent tax on restaurant sales in order to fund local tourism commissions, according to KRS 91A.400.  All money received from a restaurant tax must be used for the city's tourism and convention commission. 

However, that may soon change.  In their 2014 Legislative Agenda, the Kentucky League of Cities are looking to change how cities can use the tax money.

According to their agenda, the Kentucky League of Cities will seek legislation that would allow all cities, regardless of current class designation, to impose a restaurant tax.  Currently, only fourth and fifth class cities can implement a restaurant tax.

The proposal would allow cities to retain a maximum of 75 percent of the revenue for “quality of life enhancements.” The remaining 25 percent of the restaurant tax revenue then would be required to go to local tourism commissions.  Under these guidelines, cities could use the tax money for expenses such as employee retirement.

 

Currently around 16 percent of cities allowed to levy a restaurant tax have chosen to do so.  Although restaurant taxes accounted for only one percent of total tax collection across the state, they provided $11.2 million in revenue in FY 2011.

According to statements by Mayor Troy Rudder and London-Laurel County Tourist Commission Chairman Tom Handy, a three percent restaurant tax could potentially generate as much as $2.3 million in Laurel County.  If the tourism commission decided to request only a one percent restaurant tax, it would generate more than $766,600 in revenue. 

In addition to the restaurant tax, the city tourism commission can levy a one percent transient room tax on hotels and motels located with in the London city limits.  The London-Laurel Tourist Commission, the county tourist commission, currently brings in approximately $422,000 through a three percent transient room tax.  This revenue includes two hotels outside the city limits that the city tourism commission would not be able to tax. 

Text Only
Local News
Facebook
AP Video
Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN Raw: Deadly Landslide Hits Indian Village Obama Chides House GOP for Pursuing Lawsuit New Bill Aims to Curb Sexual Assault on Campus Russia Counts Cost of New US, EU Sanctions 3Doodler Bring 3-D Printing to Your Hand Six PA Cops Indicted for Robbing Drug Dealers Britain Testing Driverless Cars on Roadways Raw: Thousands Flocking to German Crop Circle At Least 20 Chikungunya Cases in New Jersey Raw: Obama Eats Ribs in Kansas City In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast Raw: Otters Enjoy Water Slides at Japan Zoo NCAA Settles Head-injury Suit, Will Change Rules Raw: Japanese Soldiers Storm Beach in Exercises Raw: Weapons Fire Hits UN School in Gaza Raw: Rocket Launches Into Space With Cargo Ship Broken Water Main Floods UCLA
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Poll

Now that school is out, what are your family’s summer vacation plans?

A. No major plans. We will probably hang out around Laurel County.
B. Going to the beach!
C. Kentucky has a lot of wonderful state parks, and we plan to visit a few and enjoy quality family time.
     View Results