May 9, 2013

Child hit by car

Mother says he is 'walking miracle'

By Nita Johnson
Staff Writer

LAUREL COUNTY, Ky. — A 10-year-old boy is recuperating from surgery to repair a fractured leg, one of several injuries he sustained after being struck by a car on Friday.

Melissa Morgan, mother of the child, said her son could be released from a Lexington hospital as early as Wednesday (today).

“He will have to wear a neck brace for six weeks because of the fractures to his neck and head,” she said. “He has multiple fractures to his head and there was some problem with bleeding at first. He also has a busted eardrum.”

The 10-year-old boy was visiting with a friend on Friday afternoon when he was struck by a truck as he rode a bicycle along North Main Street just after 5 p.m. Witnesses to the accident said the child crossed traffic in front of Cumberland Valley National Bank’s ATM branch.

Michelle Trennell was driving in the outside lane when a child on a bicycle pulled out in front of her. Trennell told London Police officers she slammed on her brakes and barely missed hitting the child. However, the child continued on across the street and was struck by a white Chevrolet Silverado pickup, driven by 66-year-old Dennis Fields of 819 West Ky. 1376 of East Bernstadt.

Trennell told police although she avoided hitting the bicycle, the white truck traveling in the inside lane beside her could not see the child and could not stop in time to avoid the collision. After impact, the bicycle was wedged under the front end of the truck, while the child was thrown off and was lying on the ground nearby.

Assisting on the scene were London Police Sgt. Randy Medlock, Officer Jeremy Shell, Officer Jordan Hopkins, and members of Ambulance Inc. of Laurel County EMTs and the London-Laurel County Rescue Squad.

The child was airlifted from the scene by PHI Air Medical and taken to the University of Kentucky Medical Center for head injuries.

Morgan said her son underwent surgery on Monday to repair the fracture in his leg.

“They thought they would have to put a steel rod in it, but when they got in there, they found they could just set it,” she said. “He’s doing really well now. We were all shocked.”

Although Morgan said the child “had a long road ahead,” she is thankful for his recovery.

“We had a prayer chain going in five states. I don’t know how everyone else feels, but I think that’s what kept him alive and well,” Morgan said. “He’s my walking miracle.”