Sentinel-Echo.com

June 3, 2014

Blaze rips through Happy Hollow home

Faulty computer cord suspected as contributing factor

By Cheyene Miller
Staff Writer

LAUREL COUNTY, Ky. — Firefighters from three different fire departments responded to a house fire at 1219 Happy Hollow Road just off U.S. 25, past Levi Jackson State Park Friday afternoon.

The home of Evelyn and Delmore Perkins caught fire in what fire officials speculate was related to a circuit shortage in the kitchen and living room area.

“We sifted through a bit,” said Laurel County Fire Chief Rodney Gay.

Gay described the incident as “possibly an electrical chord shorting out under the couch.” 

“It appears to be from the kitchen area,” said Lily Chief Paul Collins, offering a corresponding theory as to where the fire originated. 

Volunteer firefighters from the Lily Department were readily available when the fire occurred. 

“We happened to be right at the station when they called,” said Collins.

The incident was initially noticed by Thomas Stewert, a resident who was renting out the basement from the Perkins family. 

“I looked up and came up here and it was just blazing,” said Stewert. “I kicked the door in on instinct. The house was in flames.”

Even after the incident had been contained, the inside of the house remained at temperatures between 275-280 degrees Fahrenheit, according to Collins.

Gay said that a definite cause remained inconclusive, but further investigation would possibly be taken by the insurance company.

No injuries were reported in the blaze.