LAUREL COUNTY, Ky. —
A series of vehicle break-ins in the Carnaby Square area has prompted the London Police Department to remind vehicle owners to keep their vehicles secure.
London Police Cheif Derek House said the department has recently seen an increase in the number of complaints received regarding vehicles being tampered with and broken into in London over recent weeks.
“We’ve had several vehicles broken into,” House said. “Five of them actually had stuff taken. All of the vehicles were left unlocked.”
A Facebook posted by the London Police Department offered some basic tips to help avoid vehicle break-ins:
• Keep your vehicle doors locked and windows up.
• Remove visible items from your vehicle. The most preferred items stolen are cash, wallets, purses, cellular phones, radar detectors, and GPS travel devices.
• Most thefts from vehicles occur at night while the vehicle is parked outside the victim's residence. Some thefts do occur in parking lots while their owners are at work, class, or are shopping.
• Park your car in a garage or a well lit area away from places of concealment such as alleys and behind or beside bushes.
• Never hide a key. If you can find it, so can a thief.
If you find that you are a victim of a theft from your vehicle, call the Laurel Dispatch Non-Emergency Number 606-878-7004. Do not get inside of the car to see what is missing because you may be destroying evidence needed to apprehend the criminal. Officers will arrive shortly to take a report and attempt to gather evidence. If the theft is in progress, call 911.