images_sizedimage_334152222

A house belonging to Eddie and Linda Vaughn on Hawk Creek Road suffered smoke and water damage in a fire Tuesday afternoon.

The Swiss Colony Volunteer Fire Department responded to a structure fire about 4 p.m. Tuesday on Hawk Creek Road, 10 miles from London.

The house suffered severe smoke and water damage.

A next door neighbor, Joey Cornelius, said the house, which belonged to Eddie and Linda Vaughn, was a rental and had been vacant for about a month.

“She (Linda) had been cleaning the house and had been gone for about an hour,” Cornelius said.

Cornelius’ father, James Cornelius, called 911 after a neighbor alerted him the house was smoking.

James Cornelius said he was working in his yard when Vaughn left her house earlier.

“She waved and said bye to me and said she wouldn’t be back until after the holidays,” James Cornelius recalled. “She had been cleaning it up to rent out again. She said she left the heat on because it was supposed to get cold and she didn’t want the pipes to freeze.”

James Cornelius said he never saw any flames, just a lot of smoke coming out of both ends of the roof.

Staff writer Carol Mills can be reached at cmills@sentinel-echo.com.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

Trending Video

Recommended for you