The man who robbed the gas station last month where he and his brother were employed was indicted for first-degree robbery.
Philip Thomas, 36, of 1253 Sand Hill Road in Livingston, is held in the Laurel Detention Center under $25,000 cash bond, where he has remained since his arrest on July 30.
Thomas was reportedly ‘hanging out’ at the Spur Service Station off Exit 49 in Livingston, nine miles north of London, in the northern part of Laurel County. According to information from the Laurel Sheriff’s Office, Thomas was at the store around 2 a.m. while his brother was on duty. Thomas then threatened his brother that he had a gun and robbed him of an undisclosed amount of money and left the scene on foot.
Thomas turned himself in at the Mt. Vernon City Police station the following day but was brought to the Laurel County Sheriff’s Office to be formally charged since the crime was committed in Laurel County. Thomas allegedly told police he took the money to pay off drug debts. Thomas is set for pretrial hearing in Laurel Circuit Court on Sept. 19.
Other persons indicted last week included:
• Roy Wesley Higgins, 37, 457 Falls St., London - first-degree trafficking in controlled substances, first offense for selling methamphetamine to a police informant on Nov. 13. Higgins is also charged with first-degree persistent felony offender based on two prior felony convictions in Laurel County for unlawful possession of a meth precursor in 2008 with a two-year sentence and for manufacturing methamphetamine in 2009, for which he received a 10-year sentence.
• Jamie D. Elam, 34, 515 Bentley Road, London - theft by failure to make required disposition over $500 but less than $10,000 for taking a utility trailer belonging to another person for his own personal use on July 28.
• Wendell Baker, 52, 1165 Baker Ridge Road, London - fourth offense driving under the influence on April 5. He is also charged with first-degree fleeing or evading police, driving on DUI-suspended license, failure to wear a seat belt, reckless driving, no insurance card, possession of an open alcoholic beverage in a motor vehicle prohibited.
• Curtis Brandon Brewer, 36, 820 Ridgewood Road, London, and 37-year-old Melvin E. Mounts of 137 Lon Chadwell Road in Corbin - third-degree burglary for entering a building owned by another person with the intent of committing a crime. This offense occurred on Sept. 25, 2012.
• Donnie Ray Johnson, 29, 12 Mays Lane, London - first-degree possession of controlled substance, tampering with physical evidence, and possession of controlled substance in improper container, first offense on June 29. Johnson possessed Hydrocodone that was not in the proper container and attempted to destroy, mutilate, conceal, remove, or alter “physical evidence that would have been used in an official proceeding.”
• Heather Smith, 35, also known as (aka) Heather Hensley, no address listed - fraudulent use of an EBT card on July 15 by having a food stamp card belonging to another person with the intent to defraud.
• Eric J. Cassidy, 31, 2465 Gordon Hill Pike, Corbin - receiving stolen property over $500 but under $10,000 on Aug. 2 for having a 45 caliber semi-automatic Glock pistol that had been stolen.
• Carla McWhorter, 37, aka Carly Howard, Carla Howard, Carla Harris, of 293 Dean Hunley Road in East Bernstadt - first-degree bail jumping for failing to appear in court on June 30 for felony charges as a condition of a bail bond.
• Sandra Reid, 46, 485 Wayne St., Manchester - first-degree promoting contraband, first-degree possession of controlled substance, and possession of drug paraphernalia on Sept. 19, 2013 for having methamphetamine and items used for the ingestion and/or distribution of illegal controlled substances while in the Laurel Detention Center.
• Erica L. Grubb, 28, aka Erica Rains, Erica Jones, and 19-year-old Johnathan L. Thomas, both of 281 Brush Arbor Road, Williamsburg - theft by unlawful taking over $500 but under $10,000 on July 19 for taking a 40-inch Sony television and an HP Pavilion computer from Wal-Mart.
• John Talbert Sims, 26, of 613 Terrace Drive, London - second-degree criminal possession of a forged instrument and theft of mail matter on July 18 for stealing a check from a U.S. postal mailbox and possessing and uttering a check written to a business for $350.
Cases that were continued to the September grand jury were:
Dustin H. Cornett, Dewey Shannon Finley, Jarrod Lee Cupp (two cases), Wendy Casteel (two cases), Jeffery Lee Payne, Melissa Helton, James Helton Jr., Lowell Scott Floyd, Ricky Allen Moore, Melody Gilbert, Jimmy Barrett,
Heather N. Smith, Mary Katherine Lucas, Rhonda D. Collett, Roy Wesley Higgins (also indicted in August), Finley Johnson, Barbara Ellen Blevins, Raymond T. Hensley, Patty J. Hines, Melanie Ann Frashure, Christopher A. Allen,
Cory Goldsberry, Tony E. Chancy (two cases), Bobby J. Vanwinkle, Jason T. Gay, Tonya M. Gullette, Virginia M. Combs, Bradley S. Frazier, Jacob B. Jones, Sherry J. Brown, Michael F. Bruner, Bradley E. Moore, Emma Osborne, Joseph Sherman, Christopher Delaro, and Brad Key.
Cases dismissed by the grand jury were:
Nathan C. Jones, no witness; Kenny L. Wagers, no witness; Teresina Joy Neiderman, no witness; and Henry Parker Malicoat, heard by grand jury and dismissed.