Johnny T. Vaughn, who is accused of shooting his neighbor during a dispute over some stolen items in December, was set to go to trial Monday in Laurel Circuit Court.
Vaughn was indicted on charges of attempted murder, first-degree assault, three counts of first-degree wanton endangerment and convicted felon in possession of a firearm.
Kentucky State Police responded to a complaint that Vaughn and his neighbor, Georgiana Cowden had been arguing about some household items missing from Cowden’s home on Sally’s Branch Road.
“She didn’t live at the home, but told police her father had gone there and found the back door open and a number of items missing,” said Kentucky State Police Sgt. Tom Atkin, investigative sergeant at Post 11 in London.
When police were unable to contact Vaughn, Atkin said they took a theft report and left. As they returned to Post 11, Cowden called to say she had identified some of the missing property at Vaughn’s home.
As police returned to the scene, dispatchers informed them there was fight at the scene and someone had been shot.
Laurel County Sheriff’s Detective Charles Loomis, who was called to investigate the shooting, said minutes after state police left the scene, Vaughn allegedly came out of his home with a .380-caliber gun and fired at the vehicle in which Cowden was a passenger.
“When they saw him, they tried to get out of Dodge,” Loomis said.
One of rounds when through the right rear door of the vehicle, striking Cowden in the ankle.
Staff writer Dean Manning may be reached at email@example.com.
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
Mrs. Georgia Marie (Wilson) Jones, age 76, of Shepherdsville returned to her Heavenly Father on September 16, 2021. She was a member of Hebron Presbyterian Church and was a retired elementary school teacher, mainly educating the students at Brooks Elementary. She is preceded in death by her …
- World Chicken Festival offers fun, food and festivities; Thursday marks opening of 32nd celebration in downtown London
- CROSSTOWN BLOWOUT: Christian Larkey scores three TDs as North Laurel hands Cardinals their 20th consecutive loss
- Assault, drug indictments returned Friday
- MY POINT IS... A board without power is pointless
- UPDATE: London woman identified as victim found bound to bed in man's residence
- Marriage Licenses Issued Aug. 31-Sept. 7, 2021
- CHAT volleyball remains unbeaten against 13th Region teams with win over South Laurel
- Arrests, Aug. 31-Sept. 2, 2021
- Civil Suits Filed Sept. 1-16, 2021
- 4-0 Jaguars to face 0-5 Cardinals in Crosstown Showdown Thursday