More than a year ago, Kentucky State Police and Kentucky Vehicle Enforcement joined forces. KVE became Kentucky State Police Division of Commercial Vehicle Enforcement though it retained its own local command structure.
Locally, KSP Post 11 in London and CVE Region 4 based in Laurel County are still under the command of Captain Lisa Rudinski and Captain David Marcum, respectively.
The KSP troopers and CVE officers can still be distinguished from one another by their cars and uniforms. However, the troopers and officers now answer to the same department in Frankfort, have the same rules, policies and procedures. Rudinski said this has led to continuity of service between the two departments and better communications between the troopers and the officers.
“Its been good,” Rudinski said. “Its been a very smooth transition.”
Marcum said the merger has removed a lot of duplication and improved response times with KSP Post 11 dispatchers taking calls and dispatching the troopers and officers. In addition, Marcum said it saved the state money.
Officials at Gov. Steve Beshear’s office said CVE saved more than $2 million in the fiscal year that ended June 30.
“It is a good example of working smarter to achieve greater effectiveness and efficiency,” Beshear said.
Marcum said KVE and CVE recruits attend the same schools and receive the same training, so they are on the same page from day one.
“I’m very pleased with it,” Marcum said.
React to this story:
- NLHS football player killed in Saturday night four-wheeler accident; Brother recuperating at UK hospital
- Teen dies in four wheeler crash Saturday
- Benges remembered for their faith
- BREAKING NEWS: State Rep. Robert Goforth indicted by Laurel grand jury
- City tourism commissioners hear complaints on park campground policies
- Marriage licenses issued Sept. 3-10, 2020
- Corbin files lawsuit against London over annexation
- BACK ON TRACK: North Laurel evens record with blowout win over Perry Central
- Deeds recorded Sept. 3-11, 2020
- Dr. Adam Franson joins CHI Saint Joseph Medical Group – Orthopedics in London