A Laurel County Grand Jury indicted Terry Edward Riley, 38, of London, Dwayne Keith Riley, 43, of London and Jason Dewayne Frazier, 26, of London for the murder of Devin Ray Overbey, whose was found beaten to death on Happy Hollow Road Sept. 14.

The trio was also indicted on charges of tampering with physical evidence. In addition, Riley was charged with first-degree persistent felony offender while Frazier was charged with second-degree persistent felony offender.

Kentucky State Police Detective Millard Root, who led the Laurel County Major Crimes Task Force’s investigation into the incident, said an autopsy revealed the cause of death as blunt force trauma to the head.

During the preliminary hearing for the men in Laurel District Court, Root testified that on Sept. 13, Overbey was at a party at Terry Riley’s home. Terry Riley told investigators he saw Frazier strike Overbey twice with an object while Dwayne Riley kicked Overbey in the face, though no reason was given for the beating.

Root said the three men then loaded Overbey’s body into the back of his truck, after which the body was taken and dumped.

On Sept. 14, someone called the Laurel County 9-1-1 Communications Center after seeing the body on Happy Hollow Road.

Because of the trauma to the body, Root said investigators identified it as Overbey by speaking with family members and through tattoos Overbey was known to have.

Root explained investigators connected the Rileys to the murder following an anonymous tip that revealed Terry Riley’s home on Fariston Road may have been the murder scene.

Root said investigators went to Riley’s home and spoke with Rebecca Riley, who told them she had been woken up about 2 a.m. Sept. 14 by Terry Riley and Frazier, asking her to follow them as they took a white pick-up truck to River Road in Rockcastle County, where they attempted to burn it.

Root said they discovered the truck was Overbey’s when they found several bills among the papers that had been placed under the seat in an attempt to burn the vehicle.

On Sept. 18, officers arrested Terry Riley at the state police post in London, and took Dewayne Riley into custody at his home in East Bernstadt.

Frazier was found and arrested in Columbus, Ohio, Sept. 19.

Staff Writer Dean Manning may be reached at dmanning@sentinel-echo.com.

React to this story:


Trending Video

Recommended for you