2-15 polaris at fatal.jpg

A South Laurel High School student was killed in a 4-wheeler accident Monday off Pine Grove School Road.

A South Laurel High sophomore was killed in a 4-wheeler accident off Pine Grove School Road about 5 p.m. Monday.

Laurel County Coroner Doug Bowling pronounced Andrew (Nathaniel) Gregory dead near the scene.

South Laurel High School Principal David Cummins released this statement Tuesday morning:

“South Laurel High regrets to inform the community of the loss of a student on Monday afternoon, Feb. 13, 2012. His passing was the result of an ATV accident on Monday afternoon between 4:30 p.m. and 5 p.m.

“Andrew Nathaniel Gregory attended South Laurel High School for two years. His siblings are students at South Laurel Middle School as well as Hunter Hills Elementary.

“I want to extend my deepest condolences to the family and everyone touched by this tragedy. This is a difficult time for us all. I urge students, staff and faculty to reach out to one another to find support and comfort as we grieve this terrible accident together.

“South Laurel High School will have a moment of silence in honor of Andrew Nathaniel Gregory where students can reflect upon their relationship with him.

“Grief counseling will be available at South Laurel High for all students, staff and faculty affected by this horrible tragedy.”

Laurel County Sheriff John Root said Sheriff’s Deputy Robbie Grimes  is conducting a death investigation regarding the 4-wheeler accident that occurred about four miles south of London several miles back in a wooded area.

Apparently, Gregory had been at a campsite with two of his friends when he left by himself and went riding his Polaris 4-wheeler. After about 15 minutes  when he did not return, his friends went looking for him and found him on a trail under the 4-wheeler.

They removed him from under the 4-wheeler and called for help. The Sheriff’s Office, Ambulance Inc. of Laurel County, and the London-Laurel Rescue Squad, responded to the scene.

According to investigators, Gregory apparently lost control of his 4- wheeler and was thrown off and the ATV landed on top of him.

Assisting Grimes in the investigation was Chief Deputy Eddy Sizemore and Deputy Steve Hoskins.


React to this story:


Recommended for you