Tanner Chaney tries to make a move past a Pulaski County player.

SOMERSET—The late John Denver recorded a hit many years ago entitled, ‘Some days are diamonds, some days are stones.”

On Tuesday night at PC Field, Pulaski County head soccer coach Casey Inabnitt took those words to heart.

Despite the fact the Maroons had several chances to take the lead on a very good South Laurel squad in the opening period of play, all Inabnitt’s club could muster at the half was a 1-1 tie.

Thanks to a second half offensive explosion by the visiting Cardinals, it was Harmon Hodge’s club rolling to 8-1-1 on the season, with a very impressive and convincing 8-2 win over homestanding PC.

South Laurel’s Tyler Huff gave his club an early 1-0 lead in this one, but Pulaski’s AJ Lucas scored off a rebound late in the frame, knotting this one up at 1-1 at the half.

Any momentum the Maroons carried into the locker room on the strength of that late Lucas goal quickly evaporated early in the second half.

Hodge and crew put this one away thanks to a three and a half minute flurry in the second half that saw the Cards score three goals, racing out to a 4-1 lead.

“I thought we started off in the first 20 minutes playing well, but Pulaski County is a very good team and they could have easily gone up in front of us 4-1 or 5-1 in the opening half,” stated coach Hodge.

“I was very proud of our guys, especially in the second half because when they were presented with some scoring chances, we took advantage of those opportunities that allowed us to open the score up,” said the South Laurel coach.

Tyler Huff got South’s offensive onslaught underway in the second frame with his goal at the 33:19 mark that put the Cards in front to stay at 2-1.

Less than two minutes later, the Cards main man, Jeffrey Poston, who came in with 27 goals scored in South Laurel’s first nine games of the season, scored the first of his four second half goals with 31:24 remaining in the contest, extending the South lead out to 3-1.

At the 29:51 mark, Poston hit the nets again off of a penalty kick, as he got the ball past the Maroons keeper Zach Bolin for a 4-1 advantage.

At that juncture, South Laurel was rolling and Pulaski County was in big-time trouble.

A Tanner Chaney goal extended South’s lead out to 5-1, before PC’s  Marc Von Kolln scored with 16:49 remaining in the match trimming the deficit down to 5-2.

But, just as with the Lucas goal in the opening half of play, that final goal by PC and any momentum the Maroons had was very short-lived.

Just 17 seconds later, Austin Reynolds tallied a score making it 6-2 in favor of the Cards, while Poston was far from finished, as he added two goals late, giving him a total of four for the contest, rounding out the scoring and an impressive, 8-2 South Laurel victory.


React to this story:


Recommended for you